Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blog #7

When talking about facing opposition, it is much easier to answer when you are outside of the situation. It is hard to describe the feelings you feel or that gut instict that determines your behavior when you face something or someone who disagrees with your beliefs. In the short story "Handling Room 15," it is easy for me to disagree with the way the author handled her opposition at the time because I have been in that situation. Every year I voluntee with mentally retarded children and every year there seems to be that one child who forms an attachment to you and suddenly it turns uncomfortable. Rather than running the opposite direction, I, in the past, have faced that awkwardness by showing love. Everyone has different ways of showing their feelings, especially if they are mentally handicapped. If one of your friends were to offer you a hug, would you deny them? No. This is the same situation, just on a different level. It's not like the boy from the story was attacking her, just simply holding her hand and showing sadness when she left, simalarities of child and it's mother. Nothing awful, just uncomfortable. I guess you could say I am more like the author of "Psst:Human Capital," going for something I believe in. When you know something is right, no matter who tells you differently you go for it. If nothing else, I've stayed true to my heart. And who can oppose that?

No comments:

Post a Comment