Saturday, June 12, 2010

Blog #2

After reading the short story "Black Men and Public Spaces," I could not believe the trouble the author had to go through to just enjoy or get by in his every day life. Changing clothes, walking different routes, whisteling classical music, all of this just to avoid a stereotype because of his race. People claim that racial profiling is a thing of the past, which it is, but it is also present in current times. I wish I could say that I have never stereotyped someone based on the color of their skin, but unfortunately I am subject to racial profiling as well. If I see a lawn service truck pull up next to me on the road driven by a hispanic man I usually try my best to avoid eye contact just in fear that he might wink at me or word a derogatory phrase; which to my benefit has happened before, but I can probably count on one hand how many times it has happened. Or when I am waiting at the stoplight on the highway, I will lock my doors at the sight of an African American man trying to sell the newspaper or ask for a few donations. And I do have my reasons to be concerned about the chance of getting abducted or raped, we've all heard the unbearable stories of girls getting kidnapped by men of minority groups. The point is that history has engraved opinions into everyone's minds and subconciously we all are subject to stereotype. Racial profiling is not a thing of the past, rather just a part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment